AI & TechBusinessEntertainmentNewswireTechnology

PlayStation Shifts Focus Back to Console Exclusivity; Saros & Ghost of Yōtei Skip PC

▼ Summary

– PlayStation CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall that all future single-player games from PlayStation Studios will be console exclusives.
– This confirms a March report that PlayStation is shifting back to console exclusivity after releasing first-party games on PC for six years.
– Multiplayer games like Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls will still launch on PC and other platforms, unlike single-player titles.
– Reasons for the shift include lower PC sales, concerns about harming the console brand, and inconsistent release quality.
– Planned PC releases for single-player games like Ghost of Yōtei and Saros have been scrapped.

A major strategic pivot is underway at Sony Interactive Entertainment. According to a new report, PlayStation has officially confirmed a return to console exclusivity for its single-player blockbusters, marking a sharp reversal from the multi-platform release strategy it pursued over the last half-decade.

Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier broke the news on Bluesky after a company-wide town hall meeting. “SCOOP: PlayStation Studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company’s narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive,” Schreier wrote, confirming earlier reports from March that titles like Saros and Ghost of Yōtei would skip PC.

The distinction between single-player and multiplayer is critical here. While Sony is tightening the reins on its story-driven tentpoles, it will still launch multiplayer titles on competing platforms. For instance, Bungie’s extraction shooter Marathon recently launched on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC. Similarly, the upcoming Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls, a multiplayer fighter releasing in August, is also planned for PC. But Naughty Dog’s next sci-fi single-player adventure, Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, will likely remain a PS5 exclusive under this new directive.

This shift, first reported by Bloomberg in March, stems from several internal concerns. Sources indicated that PlayStation first-party games have not sold as well on PC as anticipated, and executives worry that simultaneous PC releases could dilute the console brand’s value and hurt hardware sales. Inconsistent release quality and scheduling were also cited as factors. The decision stands in stark contrast to Xbox’s current strategy, which sees major titles like Forza Horizon 6 and Fable landing on PlayStation 5 this year.

According to Bloomberg’s original reporting, plans to bring Ghost of Yōtei to PC were scrapped in recent weeks, alongside several other unannounced PC ports. However, previously confirmed releases are still on track. Death Stranding 2: On The Beach and Kena: Scars of Kosmora remain scheduled for PC, as do Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls.

The report also notes unease among some PlayStation executives about the long-term implications of past PC releases. There is concern that beloved sequels like God of War Ragnarök, which had never appeared outside PlayStation hardware, could eventually become playable on an Xbox console if a future Xbox system supports PC games as rumored.

For players, the question is now familiar but newly urgent: Will you buy a PlayStation 5 to play the next big single-player exclusive, or will you sit out entirely? Sony is clearly betting that the allure of these narrative-driven worlds is strong enough to drive hardware sales.

(Source: Gameinformer.com)

Topics

playstation exclusivity 98% single-player strategy 95% pc game releases 92% multiplayer game releases 88% industry competition 85% bloomberg reporting 82% console brand sales 80% game sales performance 78% hermen hulst announcement 76% specific game titles 74%